The Method of Theodoros Terzopoulos
The process of rehearsal in Attis Theatre is not the performance of a dramatic concept; it is an adventure on a journey to the landscape of memory, a search for the lost keys of unity between body and speech, the word as a natural unity.
Heiner Müller, Berlin, 1987
The work demonstration is an introduction to the renowned and influential method of Theodoros Terzopoulos, which is being taught in international drama academies, drama schools and universities, and has inspired actors all over the world.
The performers undertake an intense psychophysical training based on breath control, which aims to replace the human body in the centre of theatrical creation.
The basic elements of the method will be introduced during the workshop:
- cultivation of the diaphragmatic breath;
- techniques of in-body concentration;
- awareness and activation of the corporal axes and body centre;
- liberation of sound-voice resonators;
- emancipation of the voice;
- expansion of physical and psychological stamina;
- rhythmic interpretation of a text (ancient Greek tragedy and classic texts).